It can. And you probably should. Why?
- First, even if you are divorcing amicably, a little planning and following a checklist will make it easier.
- Second, if you think that your spouse will not be happy.That it might result in difficult negotiation, better be prepared.
- Third, maybe you are the one being divorced. You know it’s coming. You better be ready.
Where do you start and what should you do?
The answers depend on your current situation. Pick your context and follow the trail.
Prenuptial or Postnuptial
You can prepare an agreement before getting married.
- 50% of marriage end in a divorce.
- It might be a good idea to be ready.
- It becomes very important if it is to protect the rights of children from a previous marriage.
- It could be required from your business partners. They may want to avoid seeing your spouse involve in their business in case of a divorce or death.
Read ¨Prenuptial Agreement¨ to know what it is and how to do it.
¨Some days I feel I know what I want. I feel like it is the time I move on. Other days, I wonder. Am I the one that is wrong? I still care for him. I am not sure it is love anymore. I have been thinking about this for a few years now. Other couples do have issues too, right? Is this only temporary? I am with him for good reasons. Can it become better again?
Am I making a mistake? This will affect the kids. I don’t want to rush things. I don’t want to make this decision too lightly…¨
Read ¨Undecided¨ to find out what you can do.
You would like to try to save your marriage first.
- You don’t know how to proceed.
- You feel overwhelmed.
- You’re not sure that marriage counseling will really help.
- You don’t know what they do and how much it will cost.
- How do you hire and get prepared for marriage counseling?
- How and when should you involve your spouse?
Visit ¨How to save my marriage first¨
Amicable divorce (self-service style)
You are among the few couples that have decided to divorce on pacific and agreeable terms. At this point, you already agreed on key issues. You know that you will work together. Or you know that you will be able to do so.
What you are looking for is
- How to proceed.
- What to do or not to do.
- How to do things right.
- How to save money on the procedure.
- How to make sure everything is being addressed and covered.
- What pitfalls to avoid.
Read ¨Uncontested Divorce¨ if you plan to do it by yourself.
Read ¨Divorce Lawyer¨ if you want the help of a lawyer.
You need only one divorce mediator for both of you. You know that you will do what is necessary to make this go as smoothly as possible. You are in a collaboration mode. You feel you need the assistance of a mediator or a lawyer to make the best of it.
Read ¨Mediation Divorce¨ on how to proceed, what you will have to do and what to expect.
is an out-of-court divorce process that is led and structured by the divorce lawyers of both parties. It could be considered a collaborative process like the mediation. The main difference is that both spouses have their own divorce lawyers. Each lawyers represents his client and help reach a settlement.
Read ¨Collaborative divorce¨ on how it works.
You reach a point where you are sure you will need a lawyer. You know you will have important issues with your spouse. You want to protect yourself, your children and the future of everyone concerned.
It could be also because you found that your spouse is cheating on you or you anticipate that he/she is planning to leave you. Or one of the spouses is violent, alcoholic, etc.
Then you will need a ¨Divorce Attorney¨.
Top 5 Mistakes Made in Divorce.
Do a quick search to find a prenuptial agreement, amicable divorce papers, mediation service, marriage counseling, a divorce lawyer or attorney near you.
Examples of a search:
¨amicable divorce papers¨
¨mediation service near Albany, NY¨
¨marriage counseling near Miami, FL¨
¨divorce lawyer near postal code 10036¨
¨attorney lawyer near postal code 90210¨